In 2006, the Dallas Morning News carried the story of a hit-and-run victim forgiving the man who had injured him. Forgiveness is so unusual that it is front-page news. But for the follower of Christ, it should be routine. Why forgive?
- Because God has forgiven us so lavishly. (Colossians 3:13; Matthew 18:21-35)
- Because God commands forgiveness. (Ephesians 4:32)
- Because God is in control…He uses even our hurts for our good. (Romans 8:28)
- Because vengeance is God’s responsibility, not ours. (Romans 12:19)
- In order to be forgiven by God. (Matthew 6:7-15)
- In order to overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:17-21)
Forgiveness is not about the nature of the offender or the offense. It’s about the nature of the offended one and the nature of God. Be like your heavenly Father…and forgive.